Ways To Personalize Your String Art
1. Sports Team
Do you have a favorite sports team in the area? What about your college’s colors? You can paint stripes of your team logo or paint the wood one color and choose string that is the other team color. Is there a decal that you can stick to it?
If I were to paint a Steelers one, I would paint the wood black with the 3 diamonds on the wood. Then I would use white string for the string art. Maybe a future Christmas gift…
2. Favorite Pattern
3. Phase or Saying
- 12″ x 12″– I used a 3/4″ board but this one would work just as well
- Painter’s Tape
- Nails 4D, 1-1/2-Inch
- White Crochet Cotton Thread
- Picture Hanging Kit
- Sand your wood lightly until it is smooth.
- Paint the board based on your design. It is easiest to do this first before you start nailing.
- Print an outline of your state and a heart. Lay them on your piece to see how large you want them to be. For Ohio, I made it as large as I could on a piece of 8.5″x11″ paper. It was a perfect fit because it left some space around the side of the board too.
- Cut out your heart and state.
- Tape the map to the board
- Nail around the state. Keep the nails as close together as possible and just keep going. Make sure you nail them far enough into the board so they are not loose. Do not nail on the paper. If you nail on the paper, it will get stuck underneath the nails and will not come out when you remove the state later.
- Remove the cutout of your state and place the heart where you want to on the state. Note this does not have to be exact. If it was, my heart and the edge of the state would overlap and that wouldn’t look as good.
- Nail around the heart.
- String the thread from the state to the heart. Start from a state nail and wrap around a heart nail, then wrap around the next state nail and back around a heart nail. Switch to the next heart nail every so often. Continue until you have worked around all the state nails and back to the begining.
- Tip: I determined the proportion of state to heart nails. In my case, for every heart nail there was about 10 state nails. So I would wrap around the same heart nail for 10 state nails. I overlapped the first couple with the nail before and the last couple with the nail after. This process made it look less chunky around the heart.