Let me start by saying GO STEELERS!! Now that that is out of my system I can continue talking about the Browns themed Ohio String Art I made for my brother-in-law.
Thanks for coming back to see what I have been up to! Unlike most years, I only made one gift for someone in our family this year for Christmas. It was extremely easy and fun to make but it was like I lost a bet. My sister-in-law and her husband moved out of the state this year so Eric and I thought we would make their Christmas gifts Ohio themed. Both of them were born and raised in Ohio just like we were.
Instead of giving you yet another tutorial for how to make the state string art, I also thought I would share a few ways to personalize your own string art.
Ways To Personalize Your String Art
1. Sports Team
Do you have a favorite sports team in the area? What about your college’s colors? You can paint stripes of your team logo or paint the wood one color and choose string that is the other team color. Is there a decal that you can stick to it?
If I were to paint a Steelers one, I would paint the wood black with the 3 diamonds on the wood. Then I would use white string for the string art. Maybe a future Christmas gift…
2. Favorite Pattern
I love chevron. And by love, I mean how much of that can I have without looking completely ridiculous? Why not paint the background of the state with that pattern. You could do polka dots or stencil something onto the wood.
3. Phase or Saying
If there is a saying that reminds you of the state like “Home is where the heart is”, write it out. There are so many phrases or sayings that can personalize the string art even more.
Do you need a wedding gift or bridal shower gift? Put the initial of their last name or a monogram with a state that is important to them on the wood.
home. The popular new statement being put on t-shirts and other paraphernalia. One simple statement can mean so much on this piece.
- Sand your wood lightly until it is smooth.
- Paint the board based on your design. It is easiest to do this first before you start nailing.
- Print an outline of your state and a heart. Lay them on your piece to see how large you want them to be. For Ohio, I made it as large as I could on a piece of 8.5″x11″ paper. It was a perfect fit because it left some space around the side of the board too.
- Cut out your heart and state.
- Tape the map to the board
- Nail around the state. Keep the nails as close together as possible and just keep going. Make sure you nail them far enough into the board so they are not loose. Do not nail on the paper. If you nail on the paper, it will get stuck underneath the nails and will not come out when you remove the state later.
- Remove the cutout of your state and place the heart where you want to on the state. Note this does not have to be exact. If it was, my heart and the edge of the state would overlap and that wouldn’t look as good.
- Nail around the heart.
- String the thread from the state to the heart. Start from a state nail and wrap around a heart nail, then wrap around the next state nail and back around a heart nail. Switch to the next heart nail every so often. Continue until you have worked around all the state nails and back to the begining.
Tip: I determined the proportion of state to heart nails. In my case, for every heart nail there was about 10 state nails. So I would wrap around the same heart nail for 10 state nails. I overlapped the first couple with the nail before and the last couple with the nail after. This process made it look less chunky around the heart.
Enjoy making your own! I believe my brother-in-law likes his and normally I would offer to take it back if he didn’t but look at it, its Browns colors. Gross, GO STEELERS! Are you thinking about making one? How would you personalize it?